National Parks are popular destinations for tourists and travelers. Discover how many visit US National Parks each year and the one with the most visitors.
By their very nature, National Parks easily attract a sizable number of visitors every year. Those who visit National Parks do so for a variety of reasons. Many individuals visit America’s National Parks because of their sheer beauty and unparalleled recreational activity opportunities.
The National Parks had an incredible number of visitors in 2022. During that year, the National Parks received 311,985,998 visitors! That’s an increase of +5% with an additional 15 million vistors vs 2021.
You’re likely asking yourself, “What are some of the big reasons why the Parks receive such large visitation numbers?” “What specific activities are there to do that draw such large crowds?” and “What time of year is most popular to visit the Parks?”
In this article, we’ll discuss the following:
- Why do so many people visit America’s National Parks?
- Which National Parks get the most visitors?
- What is the most popular time of year to visit the National Parks?
Why do so many people visit America’s National Parks?
The National Parks are often referred to as “America’s best idea,” and for a good reason. These Parks offer a large selection of enjoyable activities and opportunities for visitors with varying interests.
The Parks offer the chance to see breathtaking scenery, captivating wildlife, important historical and archaeological sites, and endless outdoor recreational activities. There truly is something to do for everyone at our Nation’s National Parks.
The National Parks undoubtedly contain some of the country’s most spectacular scenery and diverse landscapes.
The landscape is remarkable, from the wetlands of the everglades on the east coast to the prairies of Theodore Roosevelt National Park in the Great Plains to the towering Redwoods on California’s West Coast.
Many visit the Parks simply to gaze their eyes on the scenery they offer. Scenic drives and photography are popular in the Parks.
The wildlife of America’s National Parks is equally as diverse and beautiful as its scenery. The nature seen at the Parks is not the kind you can see in your backyard. Rare, unique species are found throughout the country’s vast National Park System.
Some examples include bison, grizzly bears, moose, and wolves, to name a few.
Historical and Archaeological Sites
Our Nation’s National Parks also preserve some important historical and archaeological sites. The Parks System offers visitors the chance to see National Battlefield Sites, historical buildings, and Native American cultural sites and ruins such as Mesa Verde National Park and Aztec Ruins National Monument.
There is absolutely no shortage of outdoor recreational activities for Park visitors. Popular recreational activities include bicycling, camping, climbing, equestrianism, fishing, hiking, hunting, swimming, snowshoeing, kayaking, and more. This abundance of outdoor activities drives millions to visit the Parks.
Which National Parks Get the Most Visitors?
In 2022, 12 parks set a record for recreation visits. With social distancing at its peak in 2021, 44 parks broke visitation records that year.
The parks that attract the most visitors easily fall upon the Blue Ridge Parkway, Golden Gate National Recreation Area, and Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
Last year, the Blue Ridge Parkway saw over 15.7 visitors! In a close second, Golden Gate National Recreation Area saw 15.6 million visitors. Rounding out the top three, Great Smoky Mountains National Park received 12.9 million visits! There are several reasons why these parks are so popular.
One main reason for the popularity is these parks do not charge an entrance fee. In fact, they are few of the only parks in the nation to do so. Furthermore, they are located close to large population centers and busy highways.
Many people enjoy the Blue Ridge Parkway because of the beautiful brisk drives through the majestic Blue Ridge Mountains. It’s perfect for those who want to experience the mountains’ beauty without leaving their car. It’s frequently referred to as “America’s Favorite Drive.” The Parkway also connects Shenandoah National Park with the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
Visitors enjoy a plethora of attractions in the Great Smoky Mountains. It offers 800 miles of hiking trails, scenic drives, rushing waterfalls, varied wildlife, and over 90 preserved historic structures.
While these parks are the most visited, there are also other extremely popular parks. Here’s a list of 2022’s 25 most visited parks:
- Blue Ridge Parkway: 15.7 million
- Golden Gate National Recreation Area: 15.6 million
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park: 12.9 million
- Gateway National Recreation Area: 8.7 million
- Lincoln Memorial: 7.8 million
- George Washington Memorial Parkway: 7.4 million
- Natchez Trace Parkway: 6.5 million
- Gulf Islands National Seashore: 5.7 million
- Lake Mead National Recreation Area: 5.6 million
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial: 4.9 million
- World War II Memorial: 4.7 million
- Grand Canyon National Park: 4.7 million
- Zion National Park: 4.7 million
- Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area: 4.4 million
- Rocky Mountain National Park: 4.3 million
- Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park: 4.3 million
- Korean War Veterans Memorial 4 million
- Acadia National Park: 4 million
- Cape Cod National Seashore: 4 million
- Yosemite National Park: 3.7 million
- Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area: 3.5 million
- Castle Clinton NM: 3.5 million
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial: 3.3 million
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial: 3.3 million
- Yellowstone National Park: 3.3 million
What is the most popular time of year to visit the National Parks?
Summer is definitely the most popular time of year to visit most National Parks. Summertime in the parks experiences high visitation numbers. This is for several good reasons:
- Wildlife is the most prevalent and active.
- Water activities are easily accessible and highly popular.
- The weather is favorable for hiking, camping, and other outdoor activities.
- Most children are on summer vacation during this time of year.
Ultimately, the National Parks receive hundreds of millions of visitors every year. The Parks saw almost 312 million recreational visits in 2022 alone. This number continues to grow each year. People’s reasons for visiting the parks are varied but all who visit them are never the same!
The National Parks offer unparalleled outdoor recreational opportunities. Whether it’s hiking through a meadow or wooded forest, kayaking or swimming in a lake, or simply taking a leisurely drive through the mountains, there’s truly something to do for every family member.
So what are you waiting for? Millions visit each year, so don’t be left out of the loop. Make a plan now to visit one of our Nation’s vast collections of National Parks!